Prom season is upon us. For many, prom is one of the biggest social nights of the year. The best part about prom? It can totally be eco-friendly. It’s a great time to show off the ways that you personally reduce your carbon footprint and pledge to go green. We’ve had some rock star students who have created incredible outfits made out of entirely recycled materials, held bike-powered proms or just generally greened up their big nights. This year should be no different! (Hey dudes, this applies to you, too!)
Our prom challenge to you? Green up your prom and take an Instagram photo to document it (if you haven’t noticed by now, we’re pretty much obsessed with Instagram these days.) Email your Instagram prom picture to gaby.berkman@climateeducation. We’ll get all of the prom pictures up on our blog and Facebook page. Plus, we’ll send the first 5 people to submit photos a customized pre-prom Spotify playlist to rock out to while you get ready for the big night.
Here are some ideas to get started:
1. Create your own prom dress or tux, or buy a vintage ensemble. Not only will you have a completely original outfit, you’ll also be reusing materials that would have otherwise gone to waste.
2. Bike or carpool to the big event. Everybody knows that rolling with the homies is way more fun than riding solo, so gather all of your buds and take to the streets! Not within biking distance? Hop in the car and carpool!
3. Serve local food. Everybody loves to refuel on some delish noms after dancing the night away. What better way to support local businesses than serving local food at prom? Reach out to local restaurants, delis and bakeries for one of a kind prom night treats. They’ll taste better, and you’ll feel great for supporting local businesses.
4. Green up your decorations. Instead of spending a ton of money and buying one time use only decorations, make your own.
5. Ban styrofoam. Instead of having plates and cups made out of the nasty white stuff, get compostable plates, cups and utensils. Just make sure the venue has composting, and you’re on route to a waste free prom!
Have a great idea we missed? Tell us. Post what you’re doing to go green this prom on our Facebook. We can’t wait to see what great ideas you come up with!